Borrowed word order in phrases

Jan Terje Faarlund j.t.faarlund at iln.uio.no
Sun Dec 15 10:04:41 UTC 2013

On a slightly different level: Scandinavian, being VO languages, have
passive participles followed by an agent PP, as in English /The bill is
passed by Parliament/. If a participle, as an adjective, is used to
modify a noun it will precede the noun, still as in English, or follow
the noun if it is followed by a PP: /A bill passed by Parliament/.
However, in a certain bureaucratic style, the PP may precede the
participle, which again precedes the noun: /En av Stortinget vedtatt
lov/ 'a by Parliament passed bill'. This pattern is obviously borrowed
from German (an OV language), and it occurs in writing only.

Best,
Jan Terje

----
Professor Jan Terje Faarlund