Borrowed word order in phrases

Marie-Lucie Tarpent mltarpent at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 15 13:58:12 UTC 2013

Peter Hook, Eduardo:

Background:  I am an older speaker of European French, living in Eastern Canada (mostly in an English-speaking environment but also in contact with local French).  My impression is that European French is nowadays very much influenced by *written* English (as seen in newspaper articles, etc hastily translated from American ones), while Canadian French has long been influenced by *spoken* North American English, which Canadian francophones hear (and often speak) a lot of.

Your example:
"Il y en avait assez pour faire une tarte AVEC" 'There was enough to make a pie WITH'

This seems to be a calque of spoken English structure, so probably from Canada.  I would probably say

"Il y en avait assez pour faire une tarte" 'There was enough to make a pie' (no preposition)

or more idiomatically

"Il en restait DE quoi faire une tarte" 'There was enough left to make a pie'.  (Note preposition DE, not AVEC)

Nevertheless I don't find the sentence totally strange because AVEC (unlike other prepositions) can occur at the end of a sentence, but in places where English would not place a preposition alone:

Example:

- Il reste beaucoup de pâte.  Qu'est-ce qu'on fait AVEC? 'There's a lot of dough left.  What do we do WITH IT?'
(- On pourrait faire une tarte. 'We could make a pie.').

Note the contrast with
- Qu'est-ce qu'on fait AVEC ÇA? 'What do you/we do WITH THIS?'

An unrelated example with WITH:

In some parts of Canada with a large population of German origin, people say:
- Are you coming WITH?  (not "... WITH ME/US") 'Are you coming along?'
a calque of German
- Kommst du MIT?  (verb mit(-)kommen)