relic areas

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at wisc.edu
Fri Mar 15 15:19:09 UTC 2013

Hi Nathan,
You're thinking probably of the Neolinguists. A couple of key works are these:

--Bàrtoli, Matteo. 1925. Introduzione alla Neolinguistica. Genève: Olschki.
--Bonfante, Giuliano. 1947. The Neolinguistic position. Language 23.344–375.

I would look at David Britain's piece in the Handbook of Language Variation and Change too for work on 'geolinguistics' and the new Handbook of Language and Space, ed. by Auer & Schmidt.

Best,
Joe