On the general acceptance of Austric

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at pi.net
Thu Apr 3 17:58:42 UTC 1997

Alexander Vovin <vovin at hawaii.edu> wrote:

>Common numerals do not necessarily indicate genetic relationship.
>Japanese, e.g., borrowed numerals from Chinese:

I know.  But it invariably indicates very intimate connections between
the two peoples, languages and cultures.  My question was: how do the
Mundologists account for that?  Where and when were Munda and
Mon-Khmer supposed to have been in initimate contact with each other?
SE Asia?  The Neolithic?  Did Proto-Munda borrow the numerals from
Mon-Khmer, or viceversa?

A hypothesis of large-scale or systematic borrowing (and that of the
number system certainly counts as such) needs to be proved and
explained, just as much as a hypothesis of genetic relationship.

==
Miguel Carrasquer Vidal                     ~ ~
Amsterdam                   _____________  ~ ~
mcv at pi.net                 |_____________|||