Dravidians from Africa/not Europe

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at PI.NET
Mon Mar 10 12:45:51 UTC 1997

Clyde A. Winters wrote:

> In recent posting to this list various authors have suggested
> that the Dravidians came from Europe or the North. This is highly
> unlikely, it would appear that the Dravidians originated in Middle
> Africa and migrated to the Indus Valley and India sometime after
> 3000 B.C.

This highly unlikely.  We now have a 6000 BC date for Neolithic
Mehrgarh in Baluchistan, and the roots of the Elamite civilization can
be traced at least back to Susa A, c. 4000 BC, and the earlier
Susiana a-e phase (c. 5000-4000 BC).  McAlpine's Proto-Elamo-
Dravidian can be put with some confidence in the Southern Zagros by
the start of the Neolithic, c. 8000 BC, spreading from there to the
Indus (and the Amu-Darya?) by a Neolithic "wave of advance" not
unlike the model proposed by Colin Renfrew for the spread of
agricultural peoples across continental Europe.

Since this is a linguistic list after all, what linguistic
evidence might there be for an origin of Elamo-Dravidian in
Nilo-Saharan territory as recently as 3,000 BC?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at pi.net