No subject

Dorothy Disterheft DISTERH at UNIVSCVM.SC.EDU
Sat Mar 15 15:54:34 UTC 1997

------------------ Original message (ID=2378D9) (79 lines) ----------------  --
From: "Miguel Carrasquer Vidal" <mcv at pi.net>
To: HISTLING at VM.SC.EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 01:19:09 +0000
Subject: Re: Dravidians from Africa/not Europe

Clyde Winters wrote:

>                    Common Indo African Terms
>
> English       Dravidian        Senegalese        Manding

There is no such language as "Senegalese".  I take it you mean Wolof.

> Mother           amma              ama             ma
> Saliva           tuppal             tuudde           tu

These two are meaningless.  I can give dozens of languages with the
same "ma" and "tu" words.

> pregnancy        basaru              bir           bara
> Grand             biru               bur            ba
> King              mannan          mansa             mansa

What happened with Dravidian -sa- in <basaru>?  Or with
Wolof/Mandingo -sa- in <mansa>?

> boat              kulam             gaal            kulu
> stream             kolli            kal              koli
> skin               uri               guri            guru

Sound laws?

> cultivate           bey              mbey            be

Right...

> Pronominal Agreement
> Language        1P SG        2nd P        3rd P
> Dravidian     an, naa,ne      i             a
> Somali         ani          adigu        isagu
> Nubian         anni            ir          tar
> Bantu           ni             u            a
> Manding         na, n          i            a
> Hausa           na             kin          ya
> Wolof           ma             ya           na

Are you aware of twentieth-century advances in African linguistics?
Somali is a Cushitic language of the Afro-Asiatic
phylum.  Hausa is a Chadic language, also Afro-Asiatic.  And Nubian is
a West Sudanic language (Nilo-Saharan).

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at pi.net