Morpheme replacement

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:00:22 UTC 1997

Actually, Swadesh himself did point out that different parts of teh list
change at different rates. I believe Dyen did some later work on this.
In a diffeent way, by producing an ordering acc. to likelihood of
replacement but without giving any paercentages, Dolgopol'skij addressed
essentially the same question in the early 60's.  But, of course, a
number of examples have been cited which show that there is no single
universal rate, even one by Swadesh himself, though I think he simply
argued that suche xamples are very rare--which may be true.

Alexis MR