Question on "anythink"

Geoffrey S. Nathan geoffn at siu.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:55:58 UTC 1998

Let me add to what Larry says about final /g/ that Cockney exhibits final
[k].  I don't have  a handy reference to Cockney here in my office, but I
note that Wells' discussion of the dialect includes the fact that final
voiceless stops affricate in Cockney, and uses as an example 'nothing'
[n^thinkx](1) (Wells 1982:323).  I also recall my mother, who was raised in
Central London, and occasionally produced some authentic data, used to say
[n^fink], among other examples. I don't know what the immigration patterns
to New Zealand are, but Londoners got around lots of places.

(1)     Apologies for ascii-flavored IPA.  ^ represents caret, th represents
theta.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Department of Linguistics
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale,
Carbondale, IL, 62901 USA
Phone:  +618 453-3421 (Office)   FAX +618 453-6527
+618 549-0106 (Home)