anythink

Steven Schaufele fcosw5 at mbm1.scu.edu.tw
Wed Apr 8 11:42:10 UTC 1998

Jim Rader wrote:

> In any event, I don't think there is any problem accounting for the
> final [k] in New Zealand.  A better question might be whether it
> occurs elsewhere in Southern Hemisphere English or in American
> English--not in the latter, as far as I know.

Not unless you count humourous usage in cartoons, etc.  Which could lead
to humourous usage in real life.  Which could lead in several
directions. Especially if people don't have any regional associations
for it -- i certainly didn't know about any of the regional associations
that have been brought up during this discussion until this past week.
Frankly, i wouldn't be at all surprised if some American communities
were starting to experience occasional irruptions of this pronunciation,
though i myself have none to report.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Schaufele, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. of Linguistics, English Department

Soochow University, Waishuanghsi Campus, Taipei 11102, Taiwan, ROC

(886)(02)2881-9471 ext. 6504     fcosw5 at mbm1.scu.edu.tw

http://www.prairienet.org/~fcosws/homepage.html

        ***O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum!***

        ***Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis!***