Dolgopolsky's new book

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Fri Apr 10 11:33:49 UTC 1998

What I meant is that Illich put things together
in a different way than earlier IEnist had done,
and I believe he may have been right.  As for
Latin -a-, this is known to occur in many many
forms where no other IE lg has it (recent work
by the Leiden school esp. has tried to explain
the Latin -a- problem), and I dont think anyone
would posit a laryngeal or a PIE *-a- just
on the basis of the Latin, much as no one
would do it for any of the other Latin a's.