"Pan-Americanisms"

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 15:43:15 UTC 1998

At the Historical Linguistics conference in Stanford in 1979, Lyle
Campbell was assuring us that "universals" could be over-ridden by areal
pressure, thereby producing a phenomenon that seems self-contradictory,
a "near-universal". His examples were specifically from Central
America. ("Explaining Universals and Their Exceptions", Papers from
the 4th ICHL [Benjamins, 1980], 17-26). If we accept this possibility,
then areal pressure is given extraordinary power, and hardly anything
can be deduced for sure about any relationship in the past ..... I
wonder, Lyle, if you're out there, whether you would still agree with
what you said then. I was startled when I heard it.