stats on vocab coincidences?

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Tue Apr 28 13:21:44 UTC 1998

This was done by Bender, Marvin L.
        1969            Chance CVC Correspondences in Unrelated Languages.
Language 45:519-531.

I was able to use his results to produce a new argument for the
validity of the connection, often denied, between Haida and the
other Nadene languages in my paper

Sapir's classifications: Nadene.  Anthropological  Linguistics 38:1-38
(1996).

I don't how robust Bender's findings are (that is, how they fare
if one does the same statistics on other languages than the ones
he did or if one varies the 100-word pseudo-Swadesh list he used).
Hence, I do not know whether the argument is a very strong one.
I of course have other arguments for Haida-Nadene, so this does
not concern me too much, but still I would be interested in any
other references to this subject.

One other thing of relevance: In William Baxter and AMR, Review of Donald
Ringe (1992).  Diachronica 13:371-389 (1996), we show that there are
pairs of related languages which have fewer matches of initial consonants
than is the case in some pairs of unrelated languages.  This does not
deal with the general problem of spurious matches, because it is
is restricted to one position only, but on the other hand,
we consider not just phonetically similar consonants but all
possible correspondences in this one position.

A.