GG and change

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Sat Aug 1 19:29:21 UTC 1998

I have no doubt that you can supply us with the location of the
society with the stable language (extraterrestrial locations are
unacceptable). If all languages change, isn't that a universal attribute
of a language? Isn't instability a universal attribute? Does it really
help to say that the instability of language is due to its transmission as
a cultural object is a theory which is useful and makes the
instability, another theoretical proposition a corollary under a
general theory that transmitted cultural objects are unstable. One could
go on with the observation that transmitted non-cultural objects like DNA
are also unstable, being subject to mutation. If you prefer to say that
the property of instability is inherent in the system of a language rather
than in the language itself, that is your right, but there is the question
as to whether the distinction you are drawing is meanningful. Have we
ended up at hair-splitting?