Dative Pronouns

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Mon Aug 3 14:32:38 UTC 1998

In regard to John Hewson's comment about <'un> and Old English
<hine>, excerpted below from his longer message on dative pronouns:  I
should point out that the survival of <hine> has been argued against
fairly persuasively by Derek Britton in _Notes and Queries_ of March,
1994.  Britton believes <'un> can be better explained as a reduction
of <him>.

Jim Rader