Universals and change

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Aug 12 13:30:17 UTC 1998

Professor Farlund's contribution is nicely put and admirably concise;
yet the existence of "Universal Grammar" is a theory; the properties
that it is said to have are also theoretical (and they too change over
time). The fact that languages change is universally true (empirically);
surely only the latter qualifies as a genuine "universal"?
        Nor is it necessarily true that, every time a detail of a
language changes, the whole "system" changes; that too is a theory, one
which I know most linguists subscribe to (but which seems rather an
unhelpful perspective to others). New details in practice usually
introduce variability into the exisitng system, rather than abolishing
it. It would be different if new linguistic phenomena always ousted the
old ones at once, but (empirical truth) they don't.
        It's a real divide among linguists, this; whether we think facts
or theory are more important. If in doubt, I'd plump for the facts.