Piraha Pronouns

Daniel L Everett dever+ at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 2 17:47:01 UTC 1998

Folks,

Claims about pronoun borrowing are controversial and purported cases are
rare. Sally Thomason and I have recently written a very brief paper
arguing that the pronouns of Piraha, an Amazonian language, were
borrowed from Tupi-Guarani. In this paper, we also mention other cases
of pronoun borrowing, from individual pronouns to entire pronoun systems
(as in Piraha). This paper is posted on the Piraha webpage:
http://amazonling.linguist.pitt.edu

Your comments would be welcome. However, the main reason for posting
this information to LinguistList is to ask if readers of LinguistList
are aware of any other cases of pronoun borrowing, especially cases
involving the borrowing of the entire pronominal system from one
language to another. I will post a summary if there are cases not
already listed in our paper.

-  Dan Everett