Reversal of merger

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 14:24:14 UTC 1998

Re: Reversal of Merger;
Isn't this a bit of a non-problem? All changes take a long time to
complete; that is, it is rare for an old feature to disappear quickly
after a new feature comes in, and there is no real need for the old
feature to disappear at all; in all changes there is a long time when
both the old and the new are around, and both intelligible. So the
"reversal" is merely the decision not to adopt the new variant as the
usual one after all, but keep instead the old variant, which is still
there in the speech-community. It isn't even archaism, just a choice
between competing variants; speakers don't know which is the older and
which is the newer, of course, and if they are usually more likely to
choose the newer and thereby institute the "change" (if indeed they feel
a need to choose either, rather than just keeping both) that is merely
because the reasons, whatever they were, for having a new alternative at
all are likely to be still there at a later time too. (I can give
examples if asked.)
        If we can just accept the validity of the basic sociolinguistic
observation that variation is normal, natural, inevitable, desirable and
even necessary, particularly but not only while there is a sound
change in progress, then most of this problem just disappears; it just
means that (unsurprisingly) the merger wasn't yet universal, so the old
feature was still around in some places, people and styles, universally
intelligible and available, but necessarily only in the words that had
changed that way and not in those that hadn't.
        (There could, of course, be a further development; since changes
involve a stage of competing alternatives, the result could even be that
some older forms, that happen to have had the feature all along that
was "new" in the case of those words that have changed, might eventually
change to include the feature that was found to begin with in  those
words that initiated the change. That seems straightforward enough to
the sociolinguists, I suppose, but not only to them; as Zonneveld said
[A Formal Theory of Exceptions in Generative Phonology, Lisse, 1978],
every sound change may in practice be competing against its exact
opposite.)
                                                RW