Information needed on Latin periphrasis, please

Melanie Peterson MPeter4165 at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 21:25:58 UTC 1998

I'm a graduate student a New York University, and, in connection with a
research paper I'm working on, I need information on a periphrasis said to
have existed in late Latin.  The periphrasis consisted of the verb <<to
begin>> + the infinitive, and was equivalent to the Latin perfectum of the
verb in the infinitive.  Does anyone know of any articles, books, etc. that
touch on this topic?  I'm most interested in its geographic range and what
types of texts it occurred in, but *any* information would be welcome.  If you
prefer to respond to me as opposed to the list, please post to:

mpeter4165 at aol.com

Thanks!

Melanie Peterson