Monogenesis and polygenesis

sheri lyn pargman slpargma at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 3 14:31:59 UTC 1998

Of course, in pidgin/creole studies, "polygenesis" also refers to the view
that modern pidgins and creoles developed independently of each other, in
different places throughout the world.  This is in contrast to the
so-called "monogenesis hypothesis," which claims that most modern pidgins
and creoles are descended from one early trade language.

Sheri Pargman
University of Chicago