Sino-Tibetan again

Sam Martin semartin at pacifier.com
Tue Feb 24 15:48:19 UTC 1998

In considering the syntactic similarities between Chinese and SE Asian
languages, don't overlook the probably important fact that all
noun modifications in Chinese, such as relativized structures and other
adnominal elements, *precede* the modified. But Thai (and I believe
Vietnamese) are like French and English in postposing most noun
modification. I think that fact, together with the hints of earlier SOV
structure in Chinese and the thoroughly Altaic-type syntax of Burmese, is
what has led some scholars (such as the late Hashimoto Mantaro) to
hypothesize for earlier Chinese a neater syntax more like what we see in
Japanese and Korean.