complexity measures

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Sat Jan 17 17:07:27 UTC 1998

I have received a number of further responses to my summary of the
comprehensive reply to all of them on HISTLING within a couple of
days.  But one point I can clear up right away.

David Lightfoot writes:

>    I should have thought that if there is a simplification in some
> part of a system, there doesn't necessarily have to be compensating
> complexification elsewhere.

Agreed.  It was never my intention to suggest that a simplification
must necessarily be accompanied by a complexification, and I hope I
have not given that impression.  My point was merely that this *often*
happens, and that a name for such a combination would be desirable.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH