complexity measures

J. Kanze kanze at gabi-soft.fr
Sun Jan 18 22:42:19 UTC 1998

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at wxs.nl> writes:

|>  I wonder: are the "Italian dialects" more "complex" than Standard
|>  Italian?

I'm not sure about Italian dialects, but at least in a certain sense,
phonetically, German dialects are.  I believe that this stems from the
fact that standard German is originally an artificial language, designed
(at least phonetically) to have a certain "regularity".  Thus, the
standard vowels all fit nicely in the classical trapezoid, which is
definitly not the case for Baverian or Alsatian (the two dialects I'm
most familiar with).

James Kanze    +33 (0)1 39 23 84 71    mailto: kanze at gabi-soft.fr
GABI Software, 22 rue Jacques-Lemercier, 78000 Versailles, France
Conseils en informatique orientie objet --
              -- Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung