No subject

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Fri Jan 23 22:35:43 UTC 1998

There is another issue I would like to broach. As I argued in
my paper on Pakawan and Coahuiltecan in Anthro Lx last year
(and in my survey of Nsotratic in Studies in Lg in 1993),
in recent (and not-so-recent) debates about lg classification,
people too often reason as though refuting a part of somebody
else's argument FOR a proposed classification constitues an
argyument AGAINST that clasifcation.  This seems plain bad
logic to me, and yet it is seems to be prevalent.  Any
comments?  AMR