historical explanation of language structure

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Mon Jul 13 11:43:57 UTC 1998

I am not sure it is advisable to horn in on this discussion, but I will
anyway. It is my understanding that in science 'explanation' is tied to
the question 'How?'. With that as a premise the how of a natural language
is reasonably sought in its antecedents. Examination its state, no matter
how stated (including pseudo-histories) are only kinds of analyses. Some
scholars believe that pseudo-histories are illuminating because they
sometimes resemble historical inferences, but historical inferences are
qualitatively different from analyses, though analyses provide the basic
data for historical inferences.

I believe that you saw this point and I hope that my comments have helped.