Latin pronunciation

Paul J Hopper ph1u+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 13 14:33:29 UTC 1998

Roger Lass' observation about learning Latin from German teachers
reminded me of an experience I had in Gymnasium in Hannover: having
learned Greek pronunciation from British teachers in England, I was
convinced unquestioningly that whereas the aspirates [phi] and [theta]
were fricatives, [chi] was a stop identical to [kappa]. When I got to
Germany, i discovered I had been wrongly taught: in fact, [phi] and
[chi] were fricatives, and [theta] was a stop identical to [tau]!

Paul