Dative Pronouns

Claire Bowern C.Bowern at Student.anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 20 11:01:37 UTC 1998

Does anyone know of a language where a dative pronoun becomes the
nominative? I'm not really interested in languages where the dative and
accusative fall together, and then that case becomes "nominative". I have
an example from Pitta-Pitta (Pama-Nyungan) where the orginal 1sg dative
*ngantya turns up as nominative, a new dative stem is invented and
accusative is basically unaffected. I believe something similar happened in
Frisian but I would like some more examples if possible.

Thanks,

Claire Bowern
ANU