Morpheme replacement

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Thu Jul 30 22:01:53 UTC 1998

In general bound morphemes--i.e. affixes--are not a universal phenomenon.
Consider Chinese, whichn has, I have been given to understand, just one,
so that it is likely that there is a language with none. One can take a
frequency of bound forms, but it is not likely to get anywhere, because
the number of different instances varies considerably from language to
language and so does their distribution among words. Lexicon is trouble
enough.