Q: symbols and abbreviations

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 19:35:31 UTC 1998

Space permitting (and I anticipate some interesting conversations with
my editor), I hope to include in my dictionary entries for the
symbols, abbreviations and Graeco-Latin phrases commonly used in
philological work, since these little beggars are often hard to look
up.  Below is a list of the entries I have so far.  Are there any
obvious omissions or errors?  All advice gratefully received.
Naturally, items in common use outside our field will not be entered.

Symbols:

angle bracket `<' or `>': shows direction of an etymology

angle brackets `< >': sets off material inserted in an edition of a
text because it appears to have been omitted by the scribe

asterisk `*': (1) (also `+') marks reconstructed form (double asterisk
sometimes used to mark reconstruction based on reconstructions); (2)
marks "expected" but unattested form; (3) marks form as impossible
(double asterisk occasionally used here)

capital letter: represents generic segment in reconstructed form, such
as N for `unspecified nasal' or V for `unspecified vowel'

dagger: (1) marks word as having no known etymology; (2) marks
language as extinct

exclamation mark `!': marks proposed etymology as implausible or absurd

parentheses `( )': (1) marks variant forms compactly, as in
"<mintz(a)>" = "<mintz> or <mintza>"; (2) = square brackets (sense 1);
(3) sets off non-cognate material in comparanda

pipe `|': indicates uncertain segment in reconstructed form; e.g.,
*<lap|ba> = *<lapa> or *<laba>

plus sign `+': (1) in an etymology, indicates sequence of forms
themselves otherwise explained; (2) = asterisk (sense 1)

question mark `?': marks almost anything as doubtful

slash `/': = swung dash

square brackets `[ ]': (1) in a reconstructed form, marks material of
doubtful or variable presence, as in "*<mil[i]ga>" = "*<miliga> or
*<milga>"; (2) (also parentheses) sets off lacuna in edition of a
text, possibly filled by editor's suggestion; single bracket used if
lacuna occurs at end of line

swung dash (tilde) `~' (also slash): separates variant forms

Abbreviations

cf.: introduces cognate of cited form [I want to put this in because
most of my students believe it means "comes from", and wind up telling
me that half the words of English are taken from Sanskrit]

id.: same meaning as last form glossed

s.v. (s.u.): look up this word in the reference cited

vel sim.: or something similar

Phrases:

hapax (legomenon): word or form recorded only once

lectio difficilior: that one of several variants which is hardest to
account for

lucus a non lucendo: deriving a word from one of more-or-less opposite
meaning

(maybe also `punctum delens', but I can't generally include terms
specific to writing systems)

I hope I've already got all the traditional and IE stuff like
`tenuis', `media aspirata', `muta cum liquida', `schwa secundum' and
`s-mobile'.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex