Q: "cognate" by borrowing

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Mon Jun 8 14:44:50 UTC 1998

I recall that Eric Hamp avoided the use of the word <cognate> as
a linguistics term, though I was never sure if he did so because he
had a very narrow definition of it, or because he felt its ambiguity
rendered it useless in precise characterization of  linguistic
relatedness.  My own sense is that <cognate> ought to refer only to
strict linguistic sibling relationships and to forms that are exactly
matchable segment for segment; otherwise it's not distinct from
<related>.  But that's only a personal predisposition.

Jim Rader