Q: symbols and abbreviations

Richard Hogg MFCEPRH at fs1.art.man.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 14:41:39 UTC 1998

Some further notes, partly with reference to Roger Wright's comments.

> >angle bracket `<' or `>': shows direction of an etymology

There is also a helpful convention whereby angled brackets are used
to show strictly graphemic material, e.g. "[v] is represented by
<b>"

> >asterisk `*': (1) (also `+') marks reconstructed form (double
> >asterisk sometimes used to mark reconstruction based on
> >reconstructions); (2) marks "expected" but unattested form; (3)
> >marks form as impossible (double asterisk occasionally used here)
>
> As you know, I have long been arguing for the use of "*" [plus
> phonetic script] for postulating reconstructable spoken forms, and
> "**" for denying the form's existence (your point 3); could you
> enter "**" as a separate entry?

Can I support Roger strongly. I think it is now becoming standard, at
least in OE, to use ** for impossible forms. Not only that, but such
a convention is vital.

> >capital letter: represents generic segment in reconstructed form,
> >such as N for `unspecified nasal' or V for `unspecified vowel'
>
> Would you be able to give a complete list?

I doubt that you could, and many of these are ambiguous - think of
the meanings of "D"!

Richard M. Hogg            Tel: +44(0)161 275 3164
Department of English      Fax: +44(0)161 275 3256
  and American Studies     e-mail: r.m.hogg at man.ac.uk
University of Manchester   web:
 http://www.art.man.ac.uk/english/staff/rmh/home.htm
Oxford Road