Sum: term

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Fri Jun 19 16:30:12 UTC 1998

I am responding to what appears below. I gave a paper some time ago at a
Lacus forum that got published in which I spoke of the equicomplexity of
languages. The paper proposed the theory that all natural languages were
equally complex. The consequence is that any change that
introduces complication anywhere requires a compensatory simplification
elsewhere nad vice versa. A simple name for what is involved might be the
equicomplexity principle, but, as I see it, what is involved is a theory,
since the proposition is an assumption; I don't believe anyone is going to
prove that languages are equicomplex in the near future, but the
proposition can be used to explain the phenomena you have observed.