the meaning of "genetic relationship"

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Mon Jun 22 15:19:42 UTC 1998

I wonder how you think languages continue in exicstence if not through a
succession of native speakers. Do y;ou think that Latin continued as a
spoken language to be considered on a par with French through Church or
medieval Latin? Do you think that linguists do not make d distinction
between a language that has first or native speakers as being alive and
one that is dead, that is, has no native speakers? Can genetic linguistics
be regarded as applying to artificial languages? To dead languages after
death? I am looking forqward to your replies. ID