the meaning of "genetic relationship"

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 10:42:17 UTC 1998

John Hewson's comments on Medieval Latin (whether or not amusing) are
absolutely right; the establishment of Medieval Latin, conceptually
differentiated from the contemporary Romance (probably, I say, about 800
A.D., but others disagree) was based, in its phonetic aspect, on the
requirement that every written letter (of the traditional orthography of
every word) should have a corresponding pronunciation, but that single
requirement came to be all that Medieval Latin phonetics eventually had
in common in different areas.
                                        RW