the meaning of "genetic relationship"

Tom Wier senorbiggles at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jun 27 18:32:04 UTC 1998

Ralf-Stefan Georg sagte:

> Well, we do know, and I don't think the old ways are still much followed
> these days by the younger generation (as far as that generation enjoys some
> exposure to Latin at all, regardless of the pronunciation).

Might this mean that most (or many) of those who learned Latin still speak
withthe [ts] pronunciation? That is, because fewer learn the language today,
and the older ones learned it with the nonclassical pronunciation, who are
more numerous.

> But apart from that dwindling habit, there are other instances where a
> considerable German accent is still heard in our (and I'm afraid, if I
> don't pay attention, mostly also my) Latin: diphthongs /ae/, /oe/ are
> mostly pronounced with the vowels heard in /Kaese/ or /Moehre/, /v/ is
> usually pron. like <v> in "Wiese" (terrible !), the combination -gn- like
> in "Luegner" (and not like -ngn-, like it should be; occasionally you can
> even hear /sicknum/ instead of /singnum/), quantity is mostly disregarded
> which proves fatal once the poets are read aso.

Well, the same goes for here. I don't think many are very knowledgeable
about the /ngn/ pronunciation. As for vowel quantity, I don't think they even
teach it unless they're going over poetry.

> (BTW, the German teacher you asked, certainly wasn't a Latin teacher at the
> same time, for if so, she would doubtlessly have picked the correct verb to
> conjugate, which would have sounded in her mouth like [jatsit], etc. (and
> the verb form in the quote is of course /esto/, but there may be
> conflicting sources ...).

No, she was my German teacher while I was taking Latin at the sametime.
I doubt if she had read any Latin in decades, but I distinctly remember
hearing her say [jatset]. As for /esto/, everywhere I've ever seen it, it's
always been "Alea iacta _est_".

> Small addendum: most people here who use the classical pronunciation of <c>
> as [k] maintain a rather strict distinction between speaking (or reading
> aloud) Latin in context, where the classical school wins, but use the
> zetacistic pronunciation when mentioning a well-known Roman name within
> german discourse. There, even for me, it is still [Tsitsero] and [Tsaesar],
> everything else would be regarded pedantic (or not be understood, as a more
> likely alternative).

Exactly the same situation here. If the person has taken Latin, they
pretty much always keep with the accepted local nonclassical
pronunciation as you have said: /sIs at rou/ and /siz at r/
instead of /kikero/ and /kaisar/.

Tom Wier <twier at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
ICQ#: 4315704   AIM: Deuterotom
Website: <http://www.angelfire.com/tx/eclectorium/>