Professorial job announcement

Nik Gisborne nsgisbor at hkucc.hku.hk
Mon Mar 2 10:57:52 UTC 1998

I'd be grateful if this job announcement could be posted on Histling.

Nik Gisborne.

================
Ref: RF-97/98-34

THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG

As the oldest tertiary education institution in Hong Kong, the University of
Hong Kong has attained paralleled achievements since 1911 in Hong Kong and
the region by drawing on the great cultural traditions of China and the
West. The University is a major researchinstitution with nine major
faculties and 100+ departments and sub-divisions of studies and learning,
and a full- and part-time postgraduate and undergraduate student body of
almost 15,000, including 1,900 research students. Our firm commitment to
research excellence and internationalisation has established us as one of
the top Universities in the Region. We are firmly committed to our vision of
globalisation and enhancing our research excellence.

Professor : Chair of English

Applications and nominations are now invited for appointment as Professor:
Chair of English from January 1, 1999.

The Department of English seeks to play a pivotal role in leading English
Studies in Hong Kong and to support the University's determination to retain
its international standards and status, and its unique position within China
and Asia. We therefore seek an academic leader with strong academic
qualifications, and a substantial record of teaching and research
publications, to contribute actively to research and teaching at
undergraduate and postgraduate (M.A., M.Phil and Ph.D.) levels in the
context of the Department's work in English and American literatures, world
literature in English, sociolinguistics, critical linguistics and English
language and linguistics.

Competitive remuneration within the professorial range of HKD1M+ with 15%
terminal gratuity and an attractive benefits package (comprising housing,
leave, passage, medical/dental benefits and children's local education
allowances) will be offered to the successful candidate.

The University would prefer to make a fixed term appointment of not less
than three academic years, but consideration may also be given to
appointment on permanent terms.

Further particulars and application forms can be obtained on WWW at
http://www.hku.hk; or from the Appointments Unit, Registry, The University
of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (fax: (852) 2540 6735 or 2559 2058; e-mail:
APPTUNIT at REG.HKU.HK). Further details about the Department, including its
research profile, are available at http://www.hku.hk/english, or on
application.

Review of applications will begin from early-March until the closing date of
March 31, 1998.

The University is an equal opportunity employer and is working towards a
smoke-free environment.