Q: `crystallization'

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 19:16:21 UTC 1998

The term `crystallization' has been applied to various (attested or
posited) occasions on which a single more or less unified language
arises out of a welter of diverse linguistic activity.  Among the
linguists who have argued for this kind of scenario are Bob Le Page,
John (?) Chew, Charles-James Bailey, and Sally Thomason and Terrence
Kaufman in their well-known 1988 book.  According to T&K (p. 150),
the term `crystallization' was coined by Uriel Weinreich, but they
give no explicit reference.  Can anybody provide one?  I suspect it
may be Weinreich's 1958 paper in _Word_, but I don't have ready
access to that journal here.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex