Dixon's "The rise and fall of languages"

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Wed May 13 14:37:53 UTC 1998

This is I certainly agree with.  At the of risk of offending
various people, it seems clear that the creation of literary
Macedonian, literary Belorussian, etc., were in part at
least responsible for the perception that they are independent
languages.  Scandinavian is probably also one language treated
as three because of this.  Hindi and Urdu, Serbian and Croatian
are other examples.  SO I think I (and perhaps Benji) were
reading too much into Roger's earlier remarks.  I am glad we
can come to agree or if we must disagree that we can do it
quite civilly.  But I would like to hear Roger's view of
exactly what he thinks happens with nonliterate languages.

AMR