Basque and Georgian cousins?

D. Anthony Tschetter-Breed tonybreed at juno.com
Tue May 19 15:56:42 UTC 1998

I'm curious if anyone out there has heard if Basque and Georgian are
related
languages and cultures.  The man who told me this was not a linguist; he
was
an expert on intelligence, as in CIA-type intelligence.  Still, he seemed
quite
sure that it was true, and that everyone knew about it and accepted it.
That's
why I'm putting this question to this list; if everyone knows about it,
then
you'll be able to confirm it.

The story, thoroughly plausible, is that a group of Georgians broke away
from
Georgian society (perhaps during a drought; this fact, he said, is found
in the
traditional Georgian mythos or oral history).  They traveled west,
looking for
a place to settle, and continued until they found a place like their old
Georgia:
mountains near the sea, i.e. the eastern Pyrenees.

This came to light when a Georgianist happened to notice that the folk
dances
of the Basque are remarkably similar to those of the Georgians.

Is this on the level?  If it's true, then how well known is it really?
I'd always
been taught that Basque was an isolate.

-Tony Breed