s > r

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 16:26:53 UTC 1998

And in Spanish, including the most pompous and high-class registers in
which dropping final /s/ would in general be seen as unacceptable, a
word-final -/s/ before word-initial rolled /r/- just isn't pronounced at
all: "los reyes" as [lor'ejes]. (This is also normal in the rare cases
of what looks from the spelling like word-internal /sr/; thus "Israel"
as [ira'el]). In the light of this continuing discussion, I'm now
wondering if this /s/ has assimilated rather than dropping; before
any other voiced consonant it would indeed assimilate, by voicing, "los
malos" as [lozm'alos] (but [lozr'ejes] with [z] isn't normal).
                                                        RW