rhotacism from Ray Hickey

Ross Clark DRC at antnov1.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 5 15:57:35 UTC 1998

Who can say what is impossible? What is very unlikely is that the
Hawaiians had a word for honey 200 years ago, since there were no
honey-bees in Polynesia. The Hawaiian word is in fact a 19th-century
loanword from Greek, thanks to classically-educated missionaries who
needed it to translate the Bible.

Ross Clark