s > r (Iberian)

Alan R. King mccay at redestb.es
Fri Nov 6 12:19:10 UTC 1998

Miguel Carrasquer wrote:

>>In this respect, what is no doubt special about Castilian (together with
>>Basque) vis-`-vis perhaps most other Romance languages in or out of the
>>Iberian Peninsula (exceptions are Galician and Romanian) is that these
>
>Do you mean Roman (or C/S.Italian in general)?  Romanian certainly
>has /z/ ( < *dj, usually).

Yes, a slip.  I guess I was thinking of intervocalic s > z, and the fact
that besides Castilian, both Galician and Romanian are also exempt from
this general Romance development.  In Castilian and Galician (but NOT in
Romanian, as you point out), there is no /z/ phoneme.  I was confusing
these two things.