D. Anthony Tschetter-Breed tonybreed at juno.com
Tue Nov 10 23:25:59 UTC 1998

Forgive me for being anectdotal, but when topic comes up of sound changes
from X to Y and back to X, I always think of the English:

askan > ask > ax (in some dialects, for example Black American English)

One could propose that this is not an example of X>Y>X either on the
grounds that the "ax" form is not an innovation but rather a retention of
an earlier form, or perhaps that it's not systematic.  I don't know.  Any
thoughts?

-Tony