Ket-Na-Dene affiliation?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Wed Nov 11 16:38:31 UTC 1998

Steven Schaufele <fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw> wrote:

>My wife has just forwarded to me a Reuters story (posted on www.cnn.com)
>about an article by Merritt Ruhlen appearing this week in the
>Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, claiming an affiliation
>between Ket, the sole surviving Yeniseian language, and the Na-Dene
>family of North America.

Old news.  You can find the Yeniseian ~ Na-Dene comparisons (as well
as Yen ~ NCauc./SinTib./Basque/Burush./Nahali) in Ruhlen's 1994 book
"On the Origin of Languages" (make sure it's the Stanford UP one, not
Ruhlen's "The Origin of Language", Wiley & Sons, 1994).  There's also
a chapter on Na-Dene itself.

For an updated list of Proto-Yeniseian reconstructions (with some
comparisons to North Caucasian and Sino-Tibetan only -- the Na-Dene,
Basque, Burushaski, Nahali ones were added by Ruhlen [and very poorly
so for Basque, I must say]), you can consult or download Sergej
Starostin's online database at http://starling.rinet.ru/ (also
contains online etymological materials on North Caucasian [Nikolaev &
Starostin's NCED], Dravidian, Altaic, Sino-Tibetan,
Chuckchi-Kamchatkan, as well as Ozhegov, Zalizniak and Mueller's
Russian(-English) dictionaries).

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam