Ket-Na-Dene affiliation?

Scott DeLancey delancey at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Nov 12 21:19:33 UTC 1998

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, WB (in Frankfurt today) wrote:

> do not go beyond some rather superficial remarks. Finally I wonder if
> someone has ever read Laurence Farget's M.A. thesis _Na-Dene and Sino-
> Tibetan: Historical linguistics and new data towards establishing genetic
> relationship_ (Lyon 1986), or would know, how to get a copy of it.

I have a 13-page "abrege" of the thesis ("Na-Dene et sino-tibetain:
synthese et nouvelles donnees pour une eventualle parente"), but it
is just a brief literature review, with no new evidence presented.
I too would like to see the complete thesis.  For some reason she seems to
attach some importance to Benedict's reconstruction of a two-tone system
for Proto-Sino-Tibetan, which is not a very popular idea within the
field--I think most Sino-Tibetanists currently reconstruct PST without
tone.

Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics
University of Oregon