help with Finnish, please?

Alan R. King mccay at redestb.es
Sat Nov 14 20:36:37 UTC 1998

This may or may not be deemed a suitable question for HISTLING, but I'm
going to try anyway.  I am translating/editing an article on Basque
language standardization, and would like to double-check on the accuracy of
a few statements by the original author concerning Finnish words and their
etymologies.  Anyone want to (and able to) help?  I will acknowledge help
(if ultimately used) in a footnote to the translated version.

The author says that:

Finnish PEILI "mirror" is the assimilated form of a loanword SPEKLI;
Finnish ROUVA "lady" similarly < FROUWA;
Finnish ROPAKANTA "propaganda" < PROPAGANDA;
Finnish RANTA "?" < STRAND;
Finnish STRUKTUURI < STRUKTURA.

The author does not state what language(s) the second forms given came
from, but I would like to know (I'm thinking here of SPEKLI and FROUWA in
particular; is this some sort of proto-Germanic, or what? should they be
starred? and of course, are they accurate?).

Kiitos!

Alan R. King, Ph.D.
alanking at bigfoot.com
SNAIL: Orkolaga plaza 3 1A, 20800 Zarautz, Basque Country, Spain.
PHONE: +34-943-134125   /   FAX: +34-943-130396
Alternative email addresses:   mccay at redestb.es, a at eirelink.com,
70244.1674 at compuserve.com
Internet:   <http://www.eirelink.com/alanking/>