Arm. targal 'spoon' (fwd)

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Thu Nov 19 18:08:38 UTC 1998

Dear historical linguists,

I have as some of you may know proposed an Armenian
sound law whereby inter alia PIE *w ends up ultimately as
j^ after *r(H) or *l(H) in Armenian, e.g., olj^ is then simply
*solwo-.  The only counterexample that I am aware of is targal
if this is really, as many think, from *drwaHlaH or the like.
So the obvious question is can anyone think of an alternative
etymology.  One (maybe even the) possibility would be some
proposal whereby targal is from *tarigal or *tarugal with the
regular Armenian syncope of the relevant vowels.  Any takers?

AMR