reversal of merger

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at WXS.NL
Wed Nov 25 16:20:27 UTC 1998

Larry Trask wrote:

[on "reversal of merger":]
>I do not claim that these six exhaust the proposals, especially since I
>still have a small folder of relevant articles to read.  My final list
>may be somewhat longer.

The one that's certainly missing is "the distinction was reintroduced
from outside (a different dialect)".  This may be seen as a "spatial"
supplement to the socially motivated (3) [change in prestige dialect]
and (6) [reintroductioon by conservative minority].  Sorry, I don't
have a specific source.  I'm fairly sure this is the explanation that
Leskien or Brugmann would have given.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam