Q: oblique cognates

Roger Wright Roger.Wright at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 11:57:06 UTC 1998

In cases like Spanish *cabeza* ("head") -
Could we just say that the root morpheme is cognate with the others?
That is, Latin *caput* and English *head*; French *chef*, Italian
*capo* and Spanish *cabo* ("end") are all cognate; and so is
the root morpheme *cab-* of Spanish *cabeza*.
                                        RW

(Spanish *cabeza* was invented, because of the semantic change that had
overcome *cabo* < CAPUT, as a word specifically meaning "head"; the
*-eza* was available in the suffix inventory, but seems to have meant
nothing at all, and just to have been used as a formal device to create
a form different from *cabo*.)