Cladistic language concepts

Isidore Dyen dyen at hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 9 19:34:47 UTC 1998

I will take up only one point, the one regarding social resistance to
change based on the desire to maintain identity. The facts seem to
indicate that such resistance is usually coupled with some other basis of
resistance such as a political, religious, or economic motivation. The
omplication is that such resistance tends to disappear with the
disappearance of the motivation. I am not sure that a case can be
cited of such resistance apart from such extraneous considerations, but
perhaps you have examples.