Cladistic language concepts

Isidore Dyen dyen at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 13 21:40:51 UTC 1998

Please forgive me for breaking into this discussion of cladistic concepts
and linguistics. There is a very sharp difference between the characters
of cladistics and the cognates of genetic linguistics. Homologous
characters, if I understand cladistic talk, are features that are
candidates for having the same origin in some common ancestor.
There three analogous structures that I am aware of and that deal with
procedures for inferring genetic evolution. One of these is the language
family-tree, and the other two are respectively the cladistics of biology
and the use of cultural traits in anthropology.
'Traitisitics' has a poor reputation and deservedly so. What cladistics
and the linguistic family-tree have in common is the assumption that their
basic units do not mix. Once a species or a language becomes distinct,
that distinction is indissoluble. Where traits are concerned, such an
assumption would lead nowhere because there are too many instances in
which cultures have amalgamated in a way that precludes attributing the
continuity to just one of the contributing cultures. In other words,
cultures do not behave that way.

As for cladistics the difficulty surrounds th issue of definable
characters. Although broadly the difference between characters is usually
easy to see, the discrimination between differences and identities in
extreme cases seem to present difficulties. Now that there is competition
from the study of DNA, it seems likely that cladistics wil serve to be
ancillary support to inferences from the more intrinsic DNA agreements and
differences.
As for linguistics, it has the advantage of the comparative method which
is based on the inferences that can be drawn from the systematic
correspondences between phonemes that characterize related languages
and raise the likelihood of inferences based on those correspondences,
thus giving the inferences scientific standing.